#50 We made boats

This began a long while back. Somehow, we both discovered that we had long wanted to make a boat.

We found a plan online: http://make-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/make/20/M15_%20sailboat%20MAKE.finalrev.pdf

Bought small planks of Western Red Cedar from Bristol City Timber – fantastic service from a predominantly commercial seller. Bought green sail-cloth from St Nicholas covered market, as well as eyelets.

IMG_0715Measure and cut the cloth. J taught me how to use the sewing machine.

IMG_0721

Put eyelets in. Ordered brass pieces online, cut the keel from them.

IMG_0727

Cut lengths of dowel for the mast and booms.

IMG_0728

The hulls were shaped from the original blocks with a bastard rasp, then graded sandpapers. Then yacht varnished.

Keels glued in.

IMG_1451

IMG_1455

Named.

IMG_1565

IMG_1645

Rigged and ready.

IMG_1675

What I didn’t know was the amount of uplift needed to keep mine afloat. As I shaped the hull, I had got over zealous and tried to create a racer, all sheer angle and slice. When we launched at the boating lake at Portishead, she listed over onto her side, lifeless.

I will make another. We have the materials, and the mast and rigging can be transferred. The trick is, with disappointment, is to feel the weight of it fully, before casting it off and looking ahead. It did really matter, and because of that, we will make it better.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *